Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year resolutions of cricket icons

New Year resolutions for some of our rich and famous cricketing icons.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni

I hereby resolve to make less of a fuss over my personal security. I understand the environment has changed in the country in the wake of 26/11 and that as a role model I must not encourage the building up of a Jharkhand army just to insulate me from my fans. I am no politician who needs to be protected from the very people he represents.I also resolve not to make a fuss over selection, particularly when it comes to assessing my pals who may be great touring companions but who also have to perform to justify their place in the team. I will not carry players as part of my personal baggage as captain, nor will I threaten to resign when my wishes are not fulfilled.

Gautam Gambhir

I will not convert cricket into football with my attitude of getting into the face of my opponents. I know I am not Marco Materazzi defending against the likes of Zinedine Zidane. I promise to keep my elbow out of play. I know a mild attitude change will enable me to be a better human being while I try to keep up my batting form of 2007 in which I took my first steps towards becoming a great cricketer.

Virender Sehwag

I wish to continue to be myself. I may have started my career as a Sachin clone but today I am Virender and no one else. The best way I can repay those who kept faith with my adventurous batting style during the lean times is to continue to bat in that aggressive vein with just that bit of concern to give myself that chance to succeed with consistency so that the team can win, as I did with that innings in Chennai. I also resolve to wipe off the last vestige of captaincy ambitions. That is not my job.

Rahul Dravid

I will not let my batting get into that analysis paralysis again. People have been very patient with my form when they could so easily have condemned my continuous presence at one drop. I promise to be honest with myself when it comes to accepting when my time is up.And 2009 is not the time to go around saying that I have answered my critics when I make centuries at a strike rate of 40. I also promise to be more dynamic as a captain in the T-20 version of the game even if it is not my cup of tea.

Sachin Tendulkar

I resolve to bat on with a high emotional quotient in the memory of those who lost their lives so tragically to terror attacks. If I play a few more innings in the New Year as I did at Chepauk atthe end of the old, I know I can help India fulfill the great ambition of becoming the number one side in the world. The time has long gone when I should have any personal goalposts to move. All the runs I make will be in the team cause but it is not as if I needed a troubled British bank to tell me what I must do for my national team.

Yuvraj Singh

I stand on the threshold of true greatness where I can be as good a Test batsman as I am a limited-overs cricketer. I don't need to get into squabbles with England greats like KP and Flintoff in order to prove my dual capacity at the crease. As another year is gone, I know it is time to buckle down and mature fast so that I serve Team India even more with the bat as well as my pie-chucking.

Harbhajan Singh

I know I was lucky in 2008 to have the support of all my colleagues. I may not be able to say honestly that I did not cross the bounds of good behaviour in the Symonds episode as well as in the case of Sreesanth. I resolve to give one interview less in 2009 that I did last year. I refuse to suffer the foot-in-the-mouth disease just because the media keep calling.

No comments: